Monday, May 24, 2010

Delta Blu

I made it safely to Cleveland, Mississippi - the Delta. No internet
service, but enjoying the simple southern life. For now, simple seems, easy.

My living arrangements are interesting, somehow I ended up on the "westside" of town otherwise known as the predominantly white side. This town, separated by traintracks, has shown it's true colors early on - white and black. My experience living with an assumingly wealthy 87 year old white woman will inform my privilege of a diverse perception of this town. Our interactions are limited, but I am embracing and encouraging her story-telling. Her interest in me however is slowly emerging, after our first day she has invited me to her church. I am embracing her, she is welcoming me. With clear limitations.

As I begin my work week at Delta State University's Center for Community and Economic Development - this region's complexity will emerge. My relationship with Ms. Blakeman will become much clearer. This context of my work to build the capacity of black organizations will peer. This white and black divide, will near.

No comments:

Post a Comment