Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Black Eyed Pea

southern Drawl

We have ventured through Michigan::Ohio::Kentucky and now Tennessee. We have landed ourselves in Goodletsville, a hilly and green town, on the outskirts of Nashville. It is one of the few surrounding areas that isn’t suffering from the aftermath of the disastrous flood.

Map picture
Thankful that the day is coming to an end, we search for the nearest eats to preface a well-deserved sleep.

As my dad browses our hotel directory, he suggests a couple places that included: Pancho Villa (shown as a picture of a sombrero, striped with “Mexican Restaurant” across the brim, wasn’t so appealing nor authentic): Cracker Barrel: Olive Garden: Blue Sky Buffet (menu included over 188 items that included crab legs, steak, sushi, chinese, cantonese, and japanese food – none of which seemed to digest legitimately together): and Black Eyed Pea.

528057_ratio4x3_width180 IMG_0308

Now, I must say – the black and white print-out describing the “local” restaurant didn’t give us much. This attempt to get tourist, and passing-thru travelers, to go outside of the town limits was limiting – but I was willing to venture.

“Short 10 minute drive to Hendersonville”

Although our drive far exceeded 10 minutes, and there was much apprehension as we drove past many commercial restaurants, we found the parking lot packed and well-lit 20 minutes later.

We were greeted with a smile, and taken to our table where we were told John would be our waiter. As I look around, I couldn’t help but notice we were the only folks of color in the restaurant, but I was ok with it, my dad was there.

John approaches the table and I couldn’t help but notice his southern drawl – like that-from louisiana. He introduced himself, and went right in to an introduction of today’s specials. It was at that moment (southern food, southern accent) that it all became real – I will be living, loving, and embracing this southern-ness all summer.

As I glance over the menu, I realized how much of a challenge my pescatarianism may be this summer. Nonetheless, I found comfort in the idea of trying something new (fried green tomatoes – especially after growing up seeing the movie a million times) and ordering a main entree of fried catfish, homemade mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

IMG_0304 IMG_0305His kindness, attentiveness, and use of “sir” and “mam” made me feel warm inside. As he embraced and engaged in conversation with me and my dad, my flashbacks to today’s earlier events seemed minute. His southern hospitality was a feel-good. Today, it ends – feel-good.

IMG_0307

IMG_0306

Thank you John. You were my first introduction to a real southern vibe.

Hungry, happy, sleepy::itis

Blu skies in the morning.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy.. the fried green tomatoes look like grandmas!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica Rich-McLaurinMay 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

    The "itis"..girl quit playin!

    ReplyDelete