cruise control-ed
Green from left to right, my forward is no longer Detroit. At least for now. I remember my first month living in Michigan, and asking my supervisor the significance of Monroe in Michigan.
Monroe County::East Monroe Street::Sylvania - Monroe Street::Monroe Ohio
We edge closer and closer to the South, and I cant help but continue to ponder the significance of my last name, the significance of me, the significance of this trip.
We count down the miles to our first stop, Cincinnati. My dad makes the first wrong turn of the trip as we approach the breakoff from Toledo and Dayton. I kindly say “Its not the same without one wrong turn". Yet it is unknown just how many turns are ahead.
Cruise control, 68 in a 65 zone.
As we see a marked car parked in the divider, we discuss the insignificance of setting our cruise control 3 miles above the limit. As we approach a half mile past the car’s sighting, we notice it pull onto the road.
Hearts pounding, prayers sent. Lights flashing, silence sounding.
The car pulls behind us as we pull to the shoulder. The officer approaches the passenger side, I roll down my window.
“Sir, license and registration please. Are you aware of the speed limit in Ohio? its 65.”
My dad pulls out his California license, as I begin to scramble for the California registration of my Silver & Shiny.
“Yes sir, we had our car on cruise control at 68mph.”
“When’s the last time you got a ticket for speeding?”
My dad modestly states, “15 years.”
As he heads to check the validity of my father’s existence and alibi. He returns to the car approximately a minute and a half later.
“Is this car registered in your name, sir? You’ve got this car packed up pretty tight, where are you headed?”As he speaks over me from the passenger window.
I speak over my father, affirming our trip’s purpose “I am a student at the University of Michigan, I am headed to Mississippi for an internship over the summer.”
“Oh. at Michigan? Your a student?”
“Yes.”
“What program? You said your a student at Michigan?”
“Yes.” Firmly stated. “I am getting my Masters in Social Work. At the University of Michigan. Michigan.”
He leaves then returns. He approaches the car and points his radar gun directly at our faces “My radar clocks you at 76. You were doing 76.”
“No sir, we had our cruise control on.”
“There must be a problem with your speedometer.”
“We just got it serviced prior to this trip, sir. But your right, it must be our speedometer.”
“Well I will give you a warning, this time. Get your speedometer checked out.”
That must be it. The speedometer in my 2009 Silver & Shiny must be malfunctioning.
We road in silence and minimal chatter, our relief stuck in our throats. My dads compliancy, my stern unwillingness to budge. My dad born in the 1950’s, my birth in the mid ‘80’s. His experience, and that-of mine. Different, yet the same.
Our cruise control, at 64. Cars fly by us to our left, how did we end up on the right. Our license plate doesn’t read Ohio, but it shows silver & shiny. Controlled by our status as an outsider, within.
Otis Redding, Four Tops, Aretha, Temptations, Donny Hathaway, Curtis Mayfield - You are, our peace.
And the many before us, this journey South.

No comments:
Post a Comment