Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend

IMG_0452

Off I went, to meet up with new found friends from Jackson to head to Arkansas. Friends and a place I never expected to meet.

It was a nice weekend, just packing up and heading out of the house seemed so eventful. We met up in a small town named Leland, where I waited for the gang to arrive.

To my surprise, this town had a lot of character. Aligned along Deer Creek, this small geographical area was filled with people in and out of convenience stores that also served as the local Churches chicken, and a somewhat occupied downtown.  As I drove during my idle time, I couldn’t help draw myself toward the creek.  IMG_0454

IMG_0456

Houses on each side, this attribute to Leland seemed to serve as a peaceful place where birds churping and ducks swimming can, just be.

The calmness that came over me was a great way to start me weekend, to start and end peacefully.

We piled in my my car, five of us. And I must say, we were a diversity carpool – representing different shades, age, genders, sexualities, and experiences. We embraced our similarities, and bonded through differences.

Our first stop, Hot Tamale Heaven in Greenville, MS. Now, to my understanding this is different from a traditional Tamale and instead is coined as a southern tamale different in its preparation and serving style. At least a dozen were ordered, and all were eaten. I of course, had fried fish :)

IMG_0457

We grubbed then headed across the bridge into Arkansas land, where we crossed over the Mississippi River – a beautiful massive body of water surrounded by huge green trees growing in and outside of the water.  Our 3 hour drive didn’t seem so bad when you had a beautiful sight like that. Our 3 hour drive was just that, a sighting of many trees flat farming land, and each other.

We ended up going to Riverfest once we touched down in Little Rock, which seemed more like a beerfest. Intentionally a festival full of a variety of live music, it served as a hub for HUGE corndogs, expensive beer, lots of sweaty people, and my fav, funnel cake :)  After seeing Bell Biv DeVoe and Ludacris  perform, I realized that my experience of throbbing feet, and navigating massive amounts of strollers, was well worth it.

IMG_0478

Our trip didn’t end there!

We ventured to Hot Springs, Arkansas where we each treated ourselves to a hot water spring bath and massage.

IMG_0460My.Oh.My.

Relaxing, soothing, yet oh so exhilarating. Although we individually went through the experience, it was one of those things that brought us closer together – as we discussed our likes dislikes, and loves of the entire experience. As we discussed over a Latin fusion lunch, we realized just how amazing it was – eyes dropping, conversation lagging, we were sleepy after our body treat.

 

A treat this entire weekend was.

Laughs.

Treats.

Parks.

CornDogs.

Funnel Cake.

Sake.

Beer.

New place.

Friends.

 

IMG_0468 IMG_0463 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0469

IMG_0470

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0475

No comments:

Post a Comment