Thursday, May 27, 2010

Young Folk’s Blu’s

24 years old. My experience and assessment of what it means to be young, black, and educated is fresh.

I am, the first in my family to graduate from college, I will not be the last. I am, the first in my family to pursue a professional degree, I will not be the last. I am, unique in my privilege. A privilege it is, to tell my story.

The past couple days, I have had the opportunity to travel and talk with local youth groups about the work that I do. In case you are still wondering, I am here in Mississippi on behalf of the Michigan Youth and Community Program – which does a lot of work to empower, organize, and mobilize youth across the country.

I recognize and understand that my work primarily extends to black families and communities here, which is why I believe it is important that I do a full introduction of myself upon entering the community. For a lot of folks who I have encountered in Mississippi, I am the lightest black and the darkest white. But my identity extends my light complexion and flows over in to my upbringing, my ties – my, hips, lips, and thighs. I am, black.

My presentation expressed my family tree, with pictures from my experiences and its influence on why I’m here today.

Long Beach Skyline

 

Long Beach, I’m born and raised.

 

 

n11700517_30024709_2483

 

 

 

My parents, of different shades.

 

 

 

Their parents, across the states. 

IMG_0128

IMG_0143

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P5230082 P5230083

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My education, influenced by race.

It is important, that as I begin to ask youth to share their stories, and get them used to hearing their own voices – that I give them access to my own. In order to build relationships, and share stories two people must feel comfortable. It was not easy, stepping outside of my comfort zone, but for young people our families, friends, and education is our connection.

Once I shared my story, our connections and stories bridged. They opened up and told me about their personal experiences with racism and inequality as it relates to their educational opportunity. As they granted me access, in to their stories, in to their worlds – we shortly realized that our experiences have many similarities. It is our differences that usually come at the beginning, yet our story telling has just began.  We are embarking on a journey of empowerment through storytelling – past generations have said their peace. Now it is time to hear the young folk’s blu’s.

2 comments:

  1. young folk's blu's
    singing songs of rhythmic cries that beat to the heart of crystal black skies
    letting go of the truth just to get a better grip of the lies
    shot through the veins of our existence
    living a poisoned life
    we tap drums to sing alongs' of old Negro spirituals
    and beat the earth with our feet as our tongues tie while we speak
    of incidents reoccurring as if they never happened
    and history becomes present
    just to keep the memories alive
    and we pump blood through the eyes of windows that captured the essence of our ancestors souls
    this is young folk's blu's
    deep rooted into the soil of hearts
    that understand but can't interpret their knowings
    of inequalities
    as they walk pass old cotton field
    and touch the soles of their feet to feel the souls who's hearts still beat in the fields
    and plant their fingers in the dirt just to touch something that feels real
    as tongues tie around the experiences
    of existence
    struggling to know the difference between breathing and living
    we sing the blues
    shaded in the cracks of our hearts where the sun no longer shines
    i open my mouth wide to be heard by the masses
    and unlock the shackles of my mind from being held captive
    because although the struggle still defines where we've come from
    it also has to be the reason why we left it at where we've come from and not where we are
    so we make gifted promises to the stars
    and beat hearts like drums
    as our words slip from our tongues
    this is young folk's blu's
    outlined in all black
    with recollections of unwarranted attacks whether it be in this day in time or down the line
    our blu's will forever be the life of reality

    i got those young folk blu's
    thought by now shit would've change
    but everyday it's the same ole thang
    got my head hanging low
    aint got no reason to look to the sky fo'

    young folk's blu's
    thats what i got, i got them good ole young folk's blu's

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - I am speechless. this is a piece of art, spoken from the voices and experiences before us.

    your use of words, touch spirits. your spirit, is in the words.

    you wrote anonymously, but I am hoping you continue to share your writings in this space.

    much love and admiration,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete